Albin Schaeder was born 1921 in a tenant farmer’s lodge in Neder-Kalix in the county of Norrbotten in northern Sweden. In their self kept house he learnt from its scarce resources the virtue to on his own both repair and to manufacture new goods and properties.
His interest in clocks and watches was initiated by his father’s nursing of the only clock of the house, the alarm clock. The skilful local village smith and fiddler, who had made his own violin, also led Albin on to the route of building violins.
Albin’s clock knowledge gave him his occupation that was to offer him both bread and substance in life.
For many successive years Albin performed clock repairs at a large scale with two own shops; in a business where he often was restricted to manufacture spare parts himself.
A never ending curiosity and energy drove Albin into not just becoming a skilful watchmaker and manufacturer, but also a musical instrument builder, an artist and also an author.
Albin Schaeder passed away in 2008, 87 years old.
Albin made many amazing clocks and watches during his life tie, see a selection below. Many of them is described in the book. De Underbara Uren (The Wonderful Timepieces).
THE CROWN PRINCE’S CAVALRY
One of the major projects was to produce the art watch that would adorn the indoor square on Crown Prince mall and building complex in Malmö.
The cavalry regiment has given name to the complex, and Albin Schaeder was commissioned in 2003 by Hugo Åbergs Fastighetförsvaltning to manufacture an art watch to decorate the indoor square with.
The art watch has been designed as a tribute to the Crown Prince cavalry, and is inspired by the regiment house that previously was located on the premises. The regiment was closed down in 1927, and in its place there now stands a 27-storage building.
The Crown Prince’s cavalry is renowned for the battle of Bornhöft on December 7th 1813, where the regiment under the leadership of General Skjöldebrand fought against the Danes and was able to drive them off after a short and violent battle.
The clock was inaugurated with pomp and ceremony March 25, 2004.